Reusing old jars and containers is an easy way to reduce waste and have a never-ending list of ways to repurpose them. It is important to use a clean container always when reusing containers for refilling. Keep in mind, your refill is as fresh as the oldest product remaining in your jar.
So make sure your jar or bottle is completely clean and dry when refilling with new product in order to avoid any sort of contamination. Here is a cheat sheet to help you sanitize your jars.
What You Need:
- Large Pot
- Distilled or Filtered Water
- Dish Soap
- Rubbing Alcohol or Vodka
- Wash containers (wash lids, jars, and pumps)
For Containers & Lids: Wash with soap and water.
For Pumps & Misters: Squirt soapy water through pump or mister, about 8 oz. Repeat with 8 oz clean water to rinse pump.
- Fill a large pot with filtered water until containers are covered. Bring the water to a boil and leave boiling for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow the water to cool completely before removing containers, lids, and pumps from the pot. Let air dry.
- For pumps & misters: Pump rubbing alcohol or vodka through 10+ times and allow to air dry.
- Store in a clean place or sealed container until ready to refill and reuse!